“Pick me up Buttercup!”
April’s Oil Spotlight…all things Citrus!
by Dr. Meagan McGowan
At one time, one of our smallest members of Core Therapies told me that Orange Essential Oil smelled like “sunshine in a bottle.” Well he now towers over me in height and since then I have forever referenced Orange as “sunshine in a bottle!”
Citrus essential oils, including but not limited to Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, and Lime have a vast array of uses as many of the oils do.
- They can be safely used topically to uplift your mood.
- Try massaging a drop of Orange or Grapefruit into your scalp then cupping your hands around your nose and inhaling deeply.
- Did you know Lemon essential oil can remove adhesive residue from a label or sticker? Rather than storing a chemical-ridden spray bottle of adhesive remover, you can feel more comfortable using a drop of lemon on a paper towel on that new toy or dish!
- Forgot the lime at the store and making guacamole? No problem! Use a toothpick, insert it into your bottle of Lime essential oil, then give your guac a stir. Not strong enough? Grab another toothpick and repeat until your desired taste is achieved.
- Don’t forget the kiddos! There is a beautiful line of essential oils dedicated to our kids (loved by adults as well!) and one in particular is a citrus based blend called “Kid Power.” Conveniently already diluted in a roller bottle, apply it to the inside of your kids wrist or dab it just underneath the ears to inspire and encourage feelings of strength and confidence. Its uplifting scent comes in a bottle as well and can be diffused while they do their homework or just need to relax!
Because Citrus essential oils are cold pressed from the rind, they can be safely ingested, inhaled, and applied topically. It is recommended that when using topically, that area not be immediately exposed to the sun due to photosensitivity properties. I always advise to start out with less or dilute a little bit more, because more can always be added, but essential oils are so heavily concentrated, a little goes much further than you would think!
For more information on Citrus oils, including our favorite diffusing blends, follow us on our social media pages.