Motherhood is a beautiful journey, but it can also be incredibly challenging. As a mama, you are responsible for taking care of your children, managing the household, and often working outside the home as well. With so many responsibilities, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself. At the same time, with all we juggle there is really not much wiggle room for feeling sub-par or letting our health slip and this is where I feel daily self-care (even if JUST for a few minutes) is so incredibly crucial.
Here are just SOME of the MANY benefits of self-care:
- Reduced stress: Self-care activities can help mothers reduce stress levels and improve their overall well-being. When mothers take time to care for themselves, they can better manage the demands of motherhood and avoid burnout.
- Improved physical health: Regular exercise and a healthy diet are important components of self-care. These activities can improve physical health, boost energy levels, and prevent chronic illnesses.
- Better mental health: Self-care activities such as meditation and journaling can help mothers manage their emotions and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. Taking the time to care for oneself can also improve self-esteem and promote positive body image.
- Improved relationships: When mothers take care of themselves, they are better equipped to care for their families. By prioritizing self-care, mothers can build stronger relationships with their partners, children, and friends.
We are all super busy so HOW do we MAKE TIME for this daily ritual?
- Schedule time each day for self-care activities, even if it’s just 10 or 15 minutes. I do this in the morning before the house is awake. Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier. Getting 15 minutes less sleep won’t negatively impact you much and getting 15 minutes to YOURSELF at the beginning of your day WILL DEFINITELY positively impact you and everyone around you. This could be as simple as taking a walk around the block, meditating for a few minutes, or enjoying a cup of tea alone with no disturbance. Keep your phone on airplane mode. JUST BE. Check out My FREE Magical Mornings Challenge if you need help getting started. In it I share the 5 tools I use daily to take care of myself. This can literally all be done in 15 minutes. Click here for all the info!
- Ask for help: This is honestly still a work in progress for me and at the same time it’s so very important. It truly takes a village and we NEED to lean on others to help. We aren’t meant to be able to juggle it all and when we try to it impacts our physical AND mental health. Work on RECEIVING by saying “Thank you” when someone compliments you or offers to hold the door, or help you in any way. This will help strengthen your “receiving” and your “ask for help” muscle :p
- Prioritize sleep: Getting enough sleep is essential for physical and mental health. Try to get at least seven to eight hours of sleep each night. I cannot stress this one enough! Aim to be in bed, lights out by 10pm. Need help with your sleep hygiene? Check out a recent blog I wrote on the subject here https://beinspiredmama.com/sleep-hygiene/
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment and focusing on the here and now. This is so simple as it literally is the act of doing NOTHING but 100% focusing on what you are doing. Yet for many (including myself) it’s not always easy and takes some practice. I flex this muscle while doing the dishes. Try it. Focus only on what you are doing… “I’m soaping the plate, scrubbing the plate, making circles etc” and anytime you catch your mind drifting away from the present moment, bring it back. Notice how often throughout the day our mind wanders from what we are actually PRESENTLY engaged in. Paying attention to and focusing on your breathing is another great way to get you into the PRESENT moment.
Self-care is essential for EVERYONE. Neglecting ourselves can have negative impacts not just on us, but all those around us.
Remember, taking care of yourself is not selfish—it’s necessary for being the best mama you can be.
I’d love to hear from you. What’s the ONE thing you will do for yourself today?
Email email@example.com and connect with Dr. Melissa!